Tuesday 9 February 2010

Two weeks post op..

wow it's going quickly although I do wish I was writing 6 weeks post op here ! Doing well, scar is pretty much healed up in most places and very neat. Can manage walking around in the house with one crutch but does seem to make the hip swell a bit more than if I use two. Hoping that will settle down in the next few days so I can continue to progress with one. Still taking para's every 6 hours or so and anti inflams every 12 hours. Also on blood thinners which weirdly seem to give me blurry vision by the end of the day but only another 2 weeks of those. My surgeon's view was down to 1 crutch by 1 week post op and off them entirely by 4 weeks post op !! So we'll see. I like a challenge !!

A big step was I managed to lie on my non-operated side this morning for 10 mins or so and it didn't hurt at all (had a pillow between the knees). I had tried this last week but it was waaaay to sore to contemplate. So that feels like a little bit of progress. Also going to venture out into my street today for a little walk as I need to get some fresh air and enjoy the sunshine (even though it's freezing).

I have about 8 exercises from the physio to do which I'm doing 2 or 3 times a day and they seem to be getting a little easier. The hardest one is to stand and swing the operated leg backwards. It feels like the swelling is stopping that from being easy. I also have a stretch I need to do to help the leg length issue - operated leg is slightly longer (was shorter pre-op due to the dysplasia) and I'm determined not to worry about it as my surgeon did say it would settle down within 3 months or so. I'm also trying to balance resting as much as I exercise (physio's advice) so I made myself lie on the bed yesterday afternoon and watch an old movie - felt very guilty and lazy though !!

onwards and upwards....

2 comments:

  1. Definitely don't let the leg length thing get to you. My op-leg was nearly 2 inches longer after surgery. About 4 months later it was even. I slept on my non-op side at about 3 weeks (IIRC) so you are on track or ahead of things compared to my own experience.

    Sounds like things really are moving along rapidly and successfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kris,

    thanks for that - so lovely to have you ahead of me on this journey and phew to hear about the leg length issue. Had a lovely walk out in the sunshine today.

    ReplyDelete