Tuesday 2 February 2010

Home and one week post THR

well I made it home yesterday - 7 hours from London to Scotland in all and to be honest it wasn't as bad as I'd expected it to be.. Yes there were times when I was uncomfortable but I wouldn't say at any point I was in pain. Worst leg of the journey (cab and two trains) was the commuter train to our village which was packed and I got evil stares for taking up 2 seats !

So lovely to be home again and sleeping in my own bed and being able to eat when I want to. Just can't get over how little pain there is - taking paras every 6 hours or so and diclofenac every 12 hours or so and that's more than keeping on top of the discomfort (I wouldn't call it pain). Just can't believe that as my expectation was I'd been on much heavier painkillers for at least the first two weeks. My bedroom is upstairs and there are no problems with doing stairs - been up and downstairs twice already today with no ill effects...

only problem I'm finding is that after sitting for a while I have to get up and walk around as my bum goes quite numb..so will need to find some suitable soft foam cushion I think...

3 comments:

  1. I too was shocked at how little surgical pain I had from my THR. When you consider what they do...you'd think there wouldn't be enough meds to make the pain go away.

    Even nearly a year later I'm surprised by it.

    SO glad things continue to progress so well for you. Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great that you're back home, on familiar ground, and having such little pain! And hopping up and down stairs already! So impressed :D

    I hope you've got your appetite for chocolate back :)

    I still find I get a bit stiff after sitting for a while, or driving, it takes me a minute or so to get my walking working smoothly again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's pretty normal to have to give yourself a minute or so to get moving after standing up. That lasted for about 3 months after I returned to work (at 8 weeks). By last summer I didn't have to wait to get moving.

    I haven't stopped since!

    ReplyDelete