Tuesday 23 February 2010

4 weeks post op !!

It's my birthday today and I can't think of a better way to celebrate turning 36- with a brand new shiny hip !

wow, days are flying by. I marked the 4 week occasion today by going for a walk this morning with just a stick - no crutch !! Hip feels really really good and I'm managing a couple of walks every day of around 20 mins each time. Having had 2 previous ops in the last couple of years, this recovery is a walk in the park by comparison. I don't seem to have lost too much muscle strength and so I'm not limping really at all when I walk without a crutch or stick, and I suppose for the first time in a long time I actually have a hip joint which works properly - which makes a big difference !

I also drove for the first time yesterday (I have an automatic so in theory it's easy) although it wasn't the easiest to get in and out of the car so I'm not in a massive hurry to do it again. There's quite a lip to lift my leg over into the car so it just felt a bit awkward. I'm sure with a bit of practice I'll get there though !!

I've also been keen to get on an exercise bike although I have a recumbent static bike - a sit back rather than sit up bike and the angles are just not quite right to allow me to cycle without breaking the no knee above the hip rule. So I got my other half to rig up my mountain bike on a stand to try that but unfortunately as it's got a bar across I'm struggling to get onto that too ! Never mind, once the restrictions are lifted in a couple of weeks, I can get back on the bike.

Also getting a new hybrid bike for my birthday so looking forward to getting out on that - it's a step through bike so should be able to get onto that with no problems !!

4 comments:

  1. Well done Dee, so glad to hear of a success story and great to know you have the worst behind you.
    Enjoy the new bike,
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sah-weet news! Happiest of Birthdays to you - very happy indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dee I'm so happy for you! It sounds like you are doing just amazing! How great to have a hip that behaves, eh? And wow, has it already been 4 weeks??? I can't believe how fast time does go by. It seems to me like it was only last week I was gearing up for my surgery, so i can't imagine how you must feel, lol! I go back to work tomorrow (Monday) and am looking forward to it. Back to the real world for at least 8-9 months before I start this whole process over again. Looking forward to hearing more of your recovery, girl! When does your doc give you the green light for trying to have kids???? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow - can't believe you're back to work tomorrow Marcie - hope it goes well - are you straight back to full time hours ? OS reckons pregnancy would be OK from 6 months post op onwards... so a little time yet.. Good luck tomorrow..

    ReplyDelete