Wednesday 17 February 2010

3 weeks post op..yippee

delighted I'm halfway through the restrictions as it's getting easier and easier to potentially break them ! I'm complying though and stopping myself from bending to pick things up from the floor etc. Did some ironing this morning though and managed not to do any damage.

Hip has really really progressed this last couple of days and people are commenting on how much quicker and better my walking is - almost back to normal pace with one crutch and I definitely have that feeling I could be doing without it - so will do that tomorrow indoors for a bit and see how I get on. Still feels like I need to hold on which I think is more about balance and psychological than actually needing to hold onto something for support. It also feels really good if I go out for a walk so I'm trying to do 2 x 10 min walks each day and build up by 5 mins or so every couple of days.

I'm contemplating going to a pool next week to do some water exercises but don't want to do that until I'm totally free of the crutch or a walking stick. Also not sure if there's a pool near me which has steps down into it rather than a ladder (might be difficult with the 90 degree restrictions).

More than anything I can't get used to getting up in the morning and the hip not hurting when I walk on it ! I'm sure I will though !!

1 comment:

  1. Try the "golfers pick up" - bend over at your waist, lifting your op leg so that it is parallel with the floor. Hold onto something of course - gives you another measure of freedom!

    Also -you'll need new shoes when you start walking normally. All your old wear patterns will NOT do you any good. I know - what a shame, right? :-)

    You know, I'm nearing my one year post-op mark - and I'm still not used to the pain free thing. I mean that in a good way - I never take my new life for granted. I'm constantly surprised at the things I can do that no longer hurt. I've been told that feeling will never go away.

    Gratitude is a beautiful feeling.

    ReplyDelete