Wednesday 20 January 2010

This time next week...

I should hopefully be out of recovery and in possession of a shiny new ceramic hip. I have to be at the hospital for 10 am next Wednesday so I know I'm on the afternoon list for surgery - but I do have to call on Monday morning just to check - would be kind of nice if I got moved up the list and got done in the morning - saves all that waiting around never mind not being allowed to eat all day.

I'm ready I think. Foam cushions have been procured, shower seats looked out, and all manner of other boring things that shouldn't belong in the house of someone in their 30s. But hey, they are a necessary evil and I need to make sure I look after this new hip by sticking to the restrictions and behaving myself. At the moment I'm prepared for 6 weeks of restrictions (no crossing legs, no bending the knee at more than 90 degrees, no crouching, no twisting etc) but I'm aware that some people have them for longer so fingers crossed.

Other than looking forward to being able to actually walk properly, I'm also looking forward to the day when it's not all about the hip...

3 comments:

  1. Dee - I got here thru a couple of other hip chick blogs. I had a THR in February 2009 at the age of 45. I live in the USA. It was a life-changing experience and one that I have not regretted for one second.

    If there is anything I can do to answer any last minute questions you have from someone way too young to have had this done - please let me know. You can e-mail me at: PooRahBunny@comcast.net.

    If I don't hear from you - I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. Do everything they tell you in exactly the way they tell you and you'll have an amazing recovery. Keep your eyes and mind on the ultimate prize - pain-free living.

    I had hip dysplasia as well -after 20 years of degenerating pain I finally had it looked at in December 2008. I had surgery 2 months later - my hip was literally falling apart. Totally bone on bone, bone cysts and bone spurs plus some of the most advanced arthritis my surgeon had ever seen. He was quite surprised that I was able to talk into the appointment without any walking aids. My recovery was perfect and I now live an enormously productive, active life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kris, thank you so much for commenting - it's great to hear that you had a great outcome from the surgery and you have your life back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dee, good luck! Glad it looks like you have everything in order...and by the way, haven't you heard? 30 is the new 80! Bad joke, but it seems that way for our hips, eh? Get lots of rest and drink lots of water to plump those veins, hehe!

    ReplyDelete