Thursday 28 January 2010

I made it !!!

OK so I am bionic girl ! It's now just over 24 hours after the op and I'm feeling pretty good so far.. had a bit of a rocky night last night - only 2 hours sleep or so and quite a lot of sickness but that's to be expected. Went down at about 1.30 yesterday afternoon and into theatre about 2, then woke up in recovery about 4.30.. most of last night is bit of a blur due to lots of pressing on the PCA morphine pump - anaesthestist's advice was don't let yourself feel any pain so I took his advice ! I also had a block which lasted about 6 hours then the feeling gradually came back. I remember nothing about the spinal as they'd given me some sedation by that point - phew !

Had a yummy omelette for dinner last night as I was starving but unfortunately when the anti-emetics wore off about midnight, I lost most of it all over the bed and me with some nice projectile vomiting. I had warned the nurse I felt sick and she told me not to think about it and to take some sips of water..Erm, like that was really going to stop the morphine making me sick !! So she had the pleasure of cleaning it up 5 minutes later and although I got another injection was sick again 4 hours later when it wore off too. So I had a bit of strop when the day shift came in about not being left without it whilst I was on the morphine so fingers crossed will be better. Not been sick today but they are keeping me topped up -and I'm having less morphine too.

Saw my orthopaedic consultant Mr Witt last night and this morning and he's very pleased with how it went. Pre-op my bad leg was apparently 1cm shorter and he says it will now feel longer than the non-op leg but that it will even out over the next few months. Still got a catheter and the PCA but hoping to lose the catheter later as I had my first walk this morning !! Physio came about 11 and I was raring to get out of bed.

I'm allowed to fully weight bear with the crutches as support/balance (Mr Witt's opinion not the physio !). So I scooted over to the edge of the bed and stood up, onto the most stable feeling hip I've ever had ! It feels very heavy and stiff which is the swelling but I made it about 30 metres down the corridor and back and had to tell the physio to hurry up as he was pushing the thing with all the wires etc. Instantly can tell the dysplasia pain has gone which is amazing. He also managed to use my old open scar and I have dissolvable stitches and glue holding it all together - yes no dressings - but the glue provides a waterproof coating so I can shower no problem and get in the hydrotherapy pool.

Managed another walk this afternoon and lost the catheter which is great..although I still need help getting to the bathroom with my PCA pump on the stand. Physio has said I can do hydro tomorrow which I'm looking forward to and I'm also having an xray so looking forward to seeing that..

A good day I think all in and roll on tomorrow...

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad it went well! Happy for you!

    xo Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed! Way to go, girl! Doesn't it feel nice to have a pain free hip? I never realized how much pain I actually had now that most of the post op pain/swelling is down and my labral tear/impingement pain is gone! I'm so glad to hear you're so well and feeling positive:) Looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic news! All went well and you now know what a pain-free life is going to feel like. SO very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still amazed at how quickly you've got up and about!

    I had a lot of nausea and vomiting post-op too, it's nasty isn't it. Probably just as well as don't remember too much of the first night too ...

    ReplyDelete