Thursday 20 May 2010

Swimming....

at last I finally feel my old self coming back. Swimming was always my thing when I was younger and even in recent years. I haven't really been able to swim much in the last 3 years because of the pain in the hip. Even more galling, it's the only thing I could beat my husband at so I was desperate to regain my former ability to win at something !
So yesterday, I bit the bullet and went to the local pool.

I got into the pool with a bit of trepidation but was delighted to find that yes, I could still swim, and even managed the breast stroke kick. OK so it was only 12 lengths but you have to start somewhere and I was a bit worried about how it might feel today so consciously didn't want to overdo it. If anything, my cardio fitness held me back rather than the hips ! I did lots of exercises too which always feel good in the water, and a bit of deep water running (OK only a minute or two but again, a start !).

So pleased to report I feel good today, the muscles aren't complaining and I'm going back tomorrow for some more !

2 comments:

  1. ooh didn't know breaststroke kick ok with thr, excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want to go swimming again, do you think i should try again?? Even if it's just to do some walking and gentle swims to break myself in. I'm so eager myself to be myself of old again. Glad your gaining so much back, the recovery sounds lovely and has put my mind at ease for when it's my turn in 10 yrs. Let me know about the meet up chick xx

    ReplyDelete