Friday 7 May 2010

No news is good news...

wow,I've really been a stranger - sorry followers that I've been missing. You may have guessed that this means the hip is doing great ! I passed the 3 month milestone last weekend and I am totally at the stage of forgetting 90% of the time that I even have an artificial hip - which has to be a good thing ! I decided to look back on my pre-op entries and found a list of things I hoped for post op..

Things I am looking forward to are:

*being able to walk upstairs like a normal person yep - can even run now...
*being able to walk upstairs whilst carrying something no problems - washing baskets,boxes, ladders, etc, etc
*not being stopped in my tracks by a nasty sharp spiky jab to the hip no more nasty spiky pain - yippee !
*being able to put my own socks on and tie my shoelaces (well eventually) yep - have done for weeks now..
*being able to paint my own toenails (hey a girl has to keep standards up)as above !
*being able to walk as far as I want to without worrying about how I'll get back 3 miles at the last count - unheard of !
*being able to meet a friend for coffee without having to go somewhere next to a car park
delighted to park at the furthest away spot now !!

wow, when I look back at those simple wants, I'm more than delighted at where I am 3 months post op and feel like it's just getting better and better. I also feel passionately about others who are on this journey not taking no for an answer and pushing back against that diagnosis of 'yes you need a THR but only once you're over 50....' No, not acceptable at all - there is a pain free life out there and I never imagined it would be this good. I feel amazed and grateful every day about my new hip.

5 comments:

  1. Very well said!
    I couldnt agree with you more about the liberation this seemingly huge step gives back! Its life giving -where as before it I was merely marking time!!!
    Its getting cooler down here and I have noticed Missy hip on cooler days but even that was fleeting!
    xxx Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dee, so glad you are doing well. I have written on the hip & groin forum and found your blog link there. I'm having a left THR in 10 days and am going through the frightened phase. I am excited about getting my life back, but the op seems so huge. I had 3 failed arthroscopies, ruptured lig teres, synovitis and now cartilage and bone damage. Thanks for writing your blog, I am getting comfort from knowing what you have been through. Any tips for getting through the op & rehab?? Jessi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessi, first of all good luck - there will be no stopping you in a few weeks. The worst bit is definitely before the op as you wait for the day to arrive. Things to look forward to are the first step on your new hip - it will feel amazing - mine felt really stable and secure for the first time in a long time and just think - all that damage will be gone. I guess the other important thing to remember post op is as much as you exercise, balance it with rest too.. And good luck !!

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dee
    So happy to read your blog - you sound like you are doing brilliantly. I'll keep thinking of you on Wednesday and hopefully it will help me get through it. Jessi - I know how you are feeling, I am having a THR on Wednesday and also have entered the scary phase! Good luck to you.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. incredible, just brilliant, you must be sooo relieved!

    ReplyDelete