Thursday 11 March 2010

6 weeks yippee !! (a few days late...)

So I made it to the 6 week milestone with no issues. I had my 6 week check on Monday with my consultant who was very pleased with progress and happy for me to drop all the hip restrictions with the exception of possibly crouching which he doesn't recommend for a few weeks more.

I asked him what I should avoid and he said 'hmmm, possibly pot holing ?' !! So I reckon that gives me plenty of scope.... The new hip coped brilliantly with a weekend traipsing around London and I couldn't believe how good my walking was. It was so lovely to be doing normal things that have foxed me for the last couple of years - like going shopping, walking around an airport, getting on and off the tube and for people to look at me and not know there was anything different about me - and in fact to have people not look at me was lovely.

The only thing that isn't quite normal yet is going upstairs. I still have to do one step at a time at home especially as my stairs are quite steep but my physio has given me some exercises to do and I'm sure it's just going to take time for the muscles to strengthen and work properly. But no limping at all which is the best thing ever.

It's so hard to put into words how grateful I feel to my surgeon for giving me my life back and just how incredible this operation is - it really is life changing and I would urge anyone who has been told they are too young for a THR to seek a second opinion, or anyone wavering or scared about the thought of having such a big op, that I would do it again in a heartbeat. If I could bottle the feeling of what it's like to be able to walk around normally, in no pain after all this time, I would - and share it with you !

2 comments:

  1. Ah....so extremely happy for you Dee. This is what it's all for:

    If I could bottle the feeling of what it's like to be able to walk around normally, in no pain after all this time, I would - and share it with you !

    I know how that feels and I assure you - it will never leave you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dee,
    Yes I completely agree with a family picture. I couldn't get the one I wanted to post. So I guess I will have to bug the hubby to do it. But I was proud of myself for getting anything up.

    ReplyDelete