Wednesday 3 March 2010

5 weeks post op...

still doing really well - now walking 2 x day for approx 25-30 mins with no problems - little bit of swelling after the second walk but no real pain. I haven't taken painkillers during the day now for several days and only taking an antiinflammatory at night - which to be honest I can probably stop too.

I can't describe how great it feels to go out for a walk and be able to walk at a reasonably fast normal pace.. incredible and something that I hope I won't ever take for granted again. I'm also starting to be able to bend and stretch much more and can see that by next week (when I lose the restrictions) that putting socks on and tying laces shouldn't be a problem.

Walking upstairs is still challenging so I'm alternating doing them one at a time with trying to walk up normally to exercise the muscles. Downstairs is no problem. This coming weekend will be a good test of the hip and muscle strength as we're off to London so tube steps, walking through airports etc all beckons. I've got my 6 week check on Monday so hopefully will be good to go after that and get back to living my life !!

3 comments:

  1. Dee - you will never take the pain-free walking for granted. I'm one year post-op from my THR and I'll still amazed - every day - at how wonderful walking can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.. great isn't it ?! Haven't been shoe shopping yet Kris but that's coming !

    ReplyDelete